Monday, February 4, 2013

Digital Library

As someone with a too large collection of books that are a pain to move anywhere, I can appreciate the appeal of having to lift less than a pound to access a digital library. However, while I think the concept of a digital library is intriguing, I, personally, wouldn't often use it. I'm trying to convert myself to e-books, but considering the scant frequency with which I visit the library now, I don't see myself going more often to get digital as opposed to paper rentals. I'm just a possessive sort who likes to own the books I read. I can see others using it to their advantage, though. I do see a lot of potential for abuse if patrons can check out e-readers as well as e-books. How are they going to police something like that? It's not like overdue book fines are a top police priority. Nonetheless, the reduced cost alone for both publishers and libraries is enough to give it serious thought. Plus, no more late book fees if access just expires after two weeks. I believe this is definitely more of a publishing/public policy issue, and I hate to sound callous, but we can't really be worrying about whether or not factory workers in foreign countries will be out of work. We have enough financial problems of our own. Besides, those who don't adapt to changing times are left behind; there's no use holding back progress for the sake of traditionalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment